Thursday, August 28, 2008

None But Ourselves Can Free Our Minds . . .

This sculpture can be seen in the heart of Kingston in a place called Emancipation Park. The sculpture is depicting former slaves looking to the sky for "liberation and celestial reverence in an independent Jamaica" and the words "None but ourselves can free our minds" from Marcus Garvey and Bob Marley are written along the foundation.
The sculptor (Laura Facey Cooper) is quick to inform others that she did not embellish the female and male parts of the models she used. The people are real, she says, and they were already well-endowed.

I must say I'm surprised to see it because I never thought Jamaicans would be accepting enough for that. However, since there is a lot of public outcry against the sculpture I guess I am right. Some Jamaicans say the European features of the female is inappropriate, others say these two figures are an accurate depiction of the former slaves of Jamaica.

So tell me what you think about the sculpture?
Is this totally inappropriate for Public Art?

Banner AnH

6 comments:

Unknown said...

To be honest it doesn't bother me one way or the other but I do not live there and it is not my culture being depicted. That's the most important consideration. And art is always going to be controversial. I can see how it could offend some but I also understand the meaning behind it. Interesting question...how do you feel about it?

Anika Hamilton said...

I am not offended by the statutes, I find it rather interesting. I don't know if it depicts the Jamaican culture or not. For me its art.

barbara huffert said...

Is it accurate as far as did the slaves arrive naked? If so then I see nothing wrong with it. As AJ said, it's not my culture but if that is a misrepresentation then I would be offended on the descendants behalf. Personally I have no objection to nude art otherwise.

Anika Hamilton said...

Barbara, I really don't know. Although, some of the articles on the subject from people who claim to have family members who were slaves say it is an accurate depiction.

Personally, I think the sculpture is meant to be more symbolic of a cleansing, they are situated in a fountain. But I am just speculating, I have not done enough research to definitively say either way.

Phoenix said...

It's gorgeous! Wow! I'm surprised it was out there but it would have been a shame to cover up the beauty of expression and the perfection of form.

Unknown said...

As far as art goes, it's gorgeous. I'm not sure about having so, uh, picturesque out for kids to see.

Our little town in South Florida put up a lot of art statues about a year ago. Most of them make no sense to me. DD#1 who's an artists, appreciates them a lot more than me.