Friday, August 1, 2008

The 100 Days Challenge . . .

One of my publishers is conducting a 500 words per day, 100 days challenge. The challenge began today and should end sometime in November. I'm going to do my best to stick to this challenge and not let writer's block or stress stop me. Especially since this is in line with the personal goal I have set for myself. You know write every day, so my goal per day is going to 500 words.

The interesting thing about this challenge is the competitive nature of the other authors. Some of them are already very proficient in writing epics, of which I'm not ready to attempt right now, probably never will be. Anyway, it will be interesting to track the progress of everyone.

So what's my point? I actually don't have one. I just find it exceedingly interesting to see people competing so viciously for some visible or invisible goal. Are you a very competitive person? Why?

Anyway, I'm going to try this thing, so wish me luck.

P.S. and one more thing: today is the implementation day for the hard work I put in for the library. Shorter hours, scared and pissed-off employees, angry customers, grandstanding commissioners, let the (not-so-fun) games begin.

Banner AnH

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Unfortunately, I'm pretty competitive, but lots of times it's with myself. I actually like tests so I can get a good score (hopefully). I don't know why I'm this way. I like to see improvement in myself and to continually grow.

Unknown said...

I am not the slightest bit competittive as I don't feel the need to measure myself against others.

barbara huffert said...

Good luck with your challenge. Let us know how it's going. I couldn't, wouldn't do that...I'm not disciplined enough to stick to a schedule like that.

Phoenix said...

I'm very competitive with personal goals. I like to one-up myself constantly as a motivator. You'll do fine on this challenge. Hang in there and just keep in mind on block days, that even if the words suck this time, there are still 500 more words than you had previously.

Good Luck!

Sedonia Guillone said...

Go for it, Anika! It's an excellent way to give you a daily goal. But that's all it should be, just a way to keep your writing on track. If it starts to become just another way to drive yourself bonkers, then stop! The reason I can say this is I once did NaNoWriMo - the challenge each november to write a 50k novel. I came close but it put me in such a mindset to rush, that I rushed into contracting and publication. It ended up being okay but not before I drove myself and my editor a bit crazy and caused stress. So, that said, use the challenge to help your writing, not to make yourself more stressed. If you write 350 words one day and can't do more than that, give yourself permission to make up the deficit another day when you have more time. Writing should be fun. That's a more important rule than how many words you write.