Thursday, July 24, 2008

Dominant Gender

I was watching an episode of Sliders the other day entitled The Weaker Sex. The fascinating thing about this episode is the fact that in this alternate reality, women are the dominant gender. And although war was nonexistent because women ran the world, the men were feeling cheated.

This episode brought back memories of a book I read with the same kind of theme, women dominating the world. I remember discussing the book with my sister and she didn't like it. I thought the whole concept was fascinating, interesting, plausible and I loved the book immensely. But my sister had a different view. She didn't like the idea of women ruling the world, and she insisted the book was very bad.

Women are strong, intelligent, and powerful beings. But in certain parts of the world women are treated like less than a bug. Ugh! Women are so versatile and can achieve almost everything they put their minds to.

Right now, I don't know which gender is the dominate. And personally, I don't think there should be a dominant gender at all. No one should be made to feel like less . . .

So my question: Are people so set in their ways that thinking of women as the ultimate leaders of the world even in a work of fiction (CEOs, Judges, Superintendents of Police, Presidents) is too farfetched for us to accept?

My final point: WOMEN RULE!!!

Banner AnH

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am a great believer in the equality of the sexes. However as far as women have come in some things we are so far behind in others. When female genital mutilation, honor killings and all women have access to proper health, legal and education facilities then I think we can worry about who's in charge.

barbara huffert said...

Very thought provoking. I agree with you, there shouldn't be a dominant gender but I'm sure I won't live long enough to see that. Maybe if there was more women-dominant fiction it would help things along.